If Batman rode an eBike, he just might choose the Wing Freedom Fatty 2: always ready to rumble and packed with technology.
And, yes, it comes in black.
Built tough enough for the streets of Gotham, this sleek-frame entry from Wing Bikes brings Dark Knight vibes with its matte black finish and burly 20×4-inch puncture-resistant Kenda Krusade tires. Wide tires provide a smooth, surefooted ride with maximum grip on nearly any surface. A 750-watt electric motor gets you where you need to be in a hurry.
Wing Bike’s trademark styling remains intact, including a sleek design with integrated lights. And while Wing’s Fatty 2 shares many frame similarities (and rim diameter) with the budget-minded Freedom S2, this eBike’s personality differs markedly from the rest of the urban riding lineup.
A lightweight aluminum frame helps the Fatty 2 weigh in at just 39 pounds, making the Fatty as nimble as it is sturdy and giving urban riders an affordable electric bike option that smooths road imperfections. Capable, knobby tires even invite some off-road riding.
But the Fatty 2 isn’t a mountain bike, and this all-terrain fat bike may not be the perfect choice for everyone. Here’s what you need to know about Wing’s fat-tire electric bike.
Wing Freedom Fatty 2 Overview
Wing Bikes, an electric bike company based in Manhattan, focuses on affordable options for city riding. Most of the lineup also proves capable on bike paths and hard-pack bike trails.
A smaller frame combined with a wide adjustability range makes the Fatty 2 well-suited to shorter riders and taller riders alike. The 750-watt motor delivers plenty of power on demand to the rear wheel, offering pedal-assisted speeds of up to 28 MPH.
Wing Freedom Fatty 2 Highlights
- Straight handlebars for fine-tuned control
- Up to 28 Mph with assist
- Powerful 750-watt motor
- Two battery options
- 20-inch puncture-resistant Kenda Krusade fat tires
- Built-in headlight and tail light
- Lightweight, compact frame
- Dual disc brakes
- Torque sensor for fast-response pedal assistance
Massive tires and a modified rear frame geometry give Wing’s Fatty 2 electric bike a slightly taller stance compared to the smaller S2. The Freedom Fatty accommodates riders from 5’2″ to 6’3″.
Front and rear mechanical disc brakes paired with 180 MM rotors bring Wing’s fat-tire fun bike in for a controlled landing when needed.
Like the rest of Wing Bike’s lineup, this versatile eBike delivers unexpected features for its price range.
- 750-Watt rear hub motor: A powerful Bafang motor (or Wing custom) delivers 750 watts of power to the rear wheel. 80Nm of torque provides enough get up and go to climb hills and extra oomph to accommodate heavier riders with ease.
- Disc brakes: Expect ample stopping power with front and rear mechanical disc brakes paired to 180mm rotors.
- 7-speed drivetrain: Mány bikes in this price range use three chainrings in front, largely because 3x drivetrains can be cheaper to produce and source. While more gear choices up front can be handy for regular bikes, eBikes allow riders to skip the extra weight and maintenance that comes with 21 or 24 speed bikes. A single 54-tooth front chainring paired with a 7-speed (11-tooth to 28-tooth) freewheel provides efficient power delivery.
- Shimano drivetrain components: The time-tested Shimano Tourney rear derailleur makes every rider look like a pro with effortless shifts. Paired with a Shimano RapidFire shifter, well-suited to quick shifting, this Wing Bike helps you find the right gear the first time.
- Puncture-resistant tires: Terrain-flattening fat tires define the Fatty 2’s persona, and the standard equipment Kenda Krusade tires measure 20×4 inches. Boasting 60 TPI (threads per inch), this all-terrain knobby is on par with standard downhill mountain bikes and is also original equipment on the Rad Power Mini Electric. Wing Bikes opted for the puncture-resistant casing.
- Integrated lights: Wing Bike’s frame designs offer integrated lights (headlight and rear light), cleverly built into the frame in what has become a signature look for Wing Bikes.
- Reliable rear-hub electric motor: A 550W Bafang motor with 45Nm of torque powers the Freedom S2 up to 25 MPH maximum speed with pedal assist.
- Long-lasting battery capacity: Choose from two battery options: A 10.4ah removable battery rated for up to 35 miles of range on a single charge. Or, choose the larger capacity battery boasting 14ah of storage that can power the Freedom Fatty 2’s capable rear hub motor for up to 50 miles per charge.
- Practicality and customizability: Wing Bikes has proven a value-leader in the eBike market. The lineup puts plenty of power on tap and brings features normally found on pricier eBikes, such as a torque sensor that intelligently manages pedal-assist up to 25 MPH. Customize your ride to match your lifestyle with optional battery upgrades, a front rack, or a rear rack. Currently, standard equipment includes fenders, a throttle, and location tracking that works with iOS devices.
- Remote lock with alarm: Easily set a tamper alarm with the Freedom Fatty’s included key fob, another Wing Bikes trademark feature. Lock your battery securely and deter would-be thieves with Wing Bike’s tamper-detection alarm.
Wing’s choice of tires makes the Freedom Fatty as capable on light trails as it is around town. But, despite its rugged demeanor, this is no mountain bike. The lack of a suspension makes this model from Wing Bikes a better fit for light duty off-road adventures while providing surefooted traction around town.
Fat tires do more than put down a wide footprint, though. The tall and wide Kendas also provide a smooth ride, flattening the bumps and dips and making rides more enjoyable.
Is the Wing Freedom Fatty 2 the Right Bike for You?
If you’re looking for a reliable and cost-efficient solution for daily commuting, any of Wing’s family of budget-friendly electric bikes can fill the slot. But each bike has its own personality: the Freedom S2 defines well-equipped affordability, while the Freedom ST is the waxed-mustache sophisticate of the family. Like your fun-loving uncle who let you drive the boat when you were a kid and who never forgot your birthday, the Wing Bikes Freedom Fatty 2 brings ear-to-ear smiles while delivering dependable performance.
Think the Freedom Fatty 2 might be right for you? Check the latest deals.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does a Wing bike weigh?
Wing Bikes are surprisingly lightweight, with even the burly fat-tire Freedom Fatty 2 weighing in at about 39 pounds. A light aluminum-alloy frame paired with alloy components makes the Fatty feel nimble and makes the bike easier to lift when needed.
How fast do Wing bikes go?
Expect a top speed of about 25 MPH with pedal assist. However, Wing bikes limit the top speed to 20 MPH when using the throttle to control speed.