In this KBO Hurricane review, you’ll find some stark differences compared to most other electric bikes.
Electric bikes often look, well, chunky. Portly, perhaps.
A kinder term might be big-boned, as my grandmother used to say.
Not so, with the KBO Hurricane.
With city flair and sleek-but-shadowy looks, this lightweight ebike from KBO shatters preconceptions about electric bikes. Built for paved streets, KBO’s 36-pound Hurricane redefines what an electric bike can look like and raises the bar for how nimbly an ebike can perform on the road.
Normally priced at $1,099, the KBO Hurricane ebike packs a lot of value into a slender package. Sometimes, you might even catch it on sale, dropping the price below the $1,100-ish mark.
Currently, KBO offers the Hurricane with a $200 discount, bringing the price down to $899.
KBO markets the Hurricane electric bike as a “stealth” urban ebike. The stealth moniker refers in part to the bike’s slim lines, cleverly hiding the battery in the ebike’s downtube. At first glance, you might not even know the KBO Hurricane is an electric bike.
Stealth, in this case, may also refer to the bike’s matte black finish, giving it a cleaner appearance than many ebikes that use flashier design elements.
KBO Hurricane Review: Features Overview
KBO brings a lot of value with the lightweight Hurricane. And they do it at a price that might surprise many electric bike shoppers.
From the integrated battery to the clean and quiet belt-drive powertrain, the KBO Hurricane brings a lot of value for an ebike in this price range.
KBO Hurricane Highlights
- Up to 45-mile range with pedal assist
- 36-volt 9.6 amp-hour battery (345 watt-hours)
- 700x32c low rolling resistance tires
- Low-maintenance belt drive powertrain
- Single-speed geared for flat terrain
- 250-watt brushless hub motor
- Dual disc brakes
- Free shipping in the lower 48 states
- Sale price $899
With sleek good looks and long-range performance, KBO delivers outstanding value with the affordable Hurricane ebike.
The Hurricane is ideally suited to urban use or neighborhood riding. Without a throttle, hills can be more work. But for some riders, that makes the Hurricane a perfect choice.
For some, the few downsides of the KBO Hurricane may not be downsides at all. Instead, they might make the Hurricane the ideal ebike, marrying the feel and spirit of a minimalistic road bike with a welcome assist to help you reach your destination refreshed and ready.
Currently, the Hurricane class 1 ebike lists for $1,099 MSRP. But you can expect occasional sales or on-site coupon codes that drop the price down further.
KBO Hurricane Key Features
KBO delivers a strong value with the Hurricane, the company’s lowest-cost ebike.
- Lightweight 36-pound design: Many ebikes weigh in at up to 65 pounds or more, making the KBO Hurricane a featherweight by comparison. Need to carry the bike up steps? That’s no problem with the KBO Hurricane. A lighter weight also means more flexibility when choosing a bike rack for transport.
- 250-watt rear brushless hub motor (350-watt peak): The Hurricane’s lighter weight also means it needs less power to get moving. Expect a top speed of about 20 MPH on flat ground from the quiet-yet-capable motor. Traveling downhill, you may reach higher speeds.
- 3 levels of pedal assist: Choose level 1 for a more traditional biking experience or bump the assist to 2 or 3 for easier riding. You can also choose pedal assist 0 (off) for a purely people-powered experience. Sensitive speed and cadence sensors tell the motor to give you a hand when needed.
- Estimated range of 45 miles: Because the KBO Hurricane is a lightweight pedal assist ebike, the range can be longer than with heavier bikes that offer a throttle for pedal-free riding.
- Slimline integrated 345 watt-hour integrated battery: You’ll love the sleek looks of the integrated battery. However, the battery can’t be removed for charging externally.
- 700x32c low rolling resistance tires: Make no mistake. These are road tires designed for speed and traction on paved surfaces. The trade-off to stellar paved-road performance is that the KBO is happiest (and safest) if not used off-road.
- Single-speed belt-drive drivetrain: Say goodbye to oil-marred pant legs and messy chain maintenance. Instead of a chain, the KBO Hurricane uses a single-speed belt drive that can run quietly for years to come.
- Mechanical disc front and rear disc brakes: KBO thoughtfully included 160mm mechanical disc brakes for stopping power, whereas some competing models ship with caliper brakes.
KBO Hurricane Extras
You’ll also enjoy extras like a headlight for increased visibility. A small backlit display mounted on the handlebars gives you a quick overview of trip performance.
The Hurricane also comes with a quick-release front wheel, making this ebike easier to stow in the back of a car if needed.
- Water bottle holder
- Aluminum fenders front and rear
- 16-tool multitool including hex and spoke wrenches
Hurricane Bike Height
Choosing a bike fit to your height is essential to riding safety, so be sure the bike you choose is appropriate for your size.
A maximum seat height of 41 inches on the KBO Hurricane gives plenty of room for taller riders. But with a standover height of 31 inches and a minimum seat height of 32 inches, the KBO Hurricane is a better fit for mid-height or taller riders.
KBO suggests the Hurricane for riders 5’6″ to 6’6″, although they offer three other bikes for riders closer to 5 feet tall.
You won’t find the KBO Hurricane at your local big box store. Instead, your new ebike will arrive well-packaged in a big box. Although the Hurricane requires some minor assembly upon arrival, most buyers should have no problem putting on the finishing touches at home.
KBO provides easy-to-follow instructions in this YouTube video to get you started quickly.
Included tools and easy-to-follow instructions make assembly a snap. Just bolt on the handlebars, put on the pedals, and then put on the front wheel. After that, charge the battery, and you’re ready for the open road.
KBO Review: Who is the KBO Hurricane for?
The trick to lasting happiness with an ebike is choosing a bike well-suited to your needs. That requires knowing where the bike excels as well as areas where it may not perform as well.
This ebike isn’t a cargo hauler. It also isn’t an off-road bike. There’s no front or rear suspension. Instead, the KBO Hurricane is well-matched to urban commutes with reasonably smooth, flat roads. Expect admirable performance in many urban and suburban settings.
KBO’s Hurricane ebike is entirely at home on paved surfaces with pedal-assist speeds of up to 20 MPH. If your riding area has a lot of hills, then you may want to consider a more powerful model. However, the KBO should work well for you if your neighborhood has a few mild inclines here and there. Steeper climbs may require more effort or even walking the bike in some cases, not unlike a traditional bike.
Narrow handlebars make winding through city streets easier, and a whisper-quiet drivetrain provides a reliable, enjoyable commute.
As mentioned earlier in the review, the KBO Hurricane fits riders sized 5’6″ up to 6’6″, suitable for mid-height to taller riders. The max carrying capacity is 250 pounds. It’s also helpful if you’re active and enjoy the full cycling experience. While the Hurricane offers pedal assist, it won’t do all the work for you. Instead, think of the KBO Hurricane as an immersive experience.
Pedal assist only works when you’re moving the pedals. If you enjoy a traditional bike experience (read: pedaling), the KBO may be a perfect fit. The KBO Hurricane is a class 1 ebike, generally allowed in all lanes and paths where traditional bicycles can be used.
KBO Hurricane Purchase & Warranty Information
Priced at $1,099 regularly, the KBO Hurricane offers a compelling value for city and suburban riders. Occasionally, KBO runs promotions or offers coupons on the KBO website as well. So, you might be able to pick one up for a bit less if you time it right.
Free shipping to the lower 48 states ($150 shipped to Canada) makes the Hurricane even more attractive. And with a two-year warranty, you can rest easy knowing KBO has you covered.
You can also replace wear items like the battery or drive belt directly through KBO. However, these items may last for years without needing replacement. Still, it’s good to know you can get parts if you need them.
KBO offers the Hurricane with a two-year limited warranty.
Electric bikes can cost more than traditional bikes. Fortunately, KBO offers interest-free financing options through Klarna or PayPal to break the purchase cost into easy, affordable payments.
Considering the KBO Hurricane?
KBO often runs sales and special promotions. Check the latest offers before you choose your next electric bike. See the latest price from KBO.
Still looking for the right electric bike?
Find the information you need with Project eBike reviews.
Frequently Asked Questions
How fast does the KBO Hurricane go?
The KBO Hurricane has a top pedal-assist speed of about 20 MPH. With fast pedaling or when traveling downhill, it may be possible for some riders to reach higher speeds. However, the hub motor stops assisting at about 20 MPH.
Does the KBO Hurricane have a throttle?
The KBO hurricane does not have a throttle. Instead, the Hurricane offers three levels of pedal assist. Riders can also choose to pedal without assistance from the motor.
What battery does the KBO Hurricane have?
The KBO Hurricane comes with a frame-integrated 36-volt 9.6 amp-hour battery with Samsung/LG cells that offers 345 watt-hours of power. KBO estimates battery range for the Hurricane at 18 to 53 miles, depending on rider weight, pedal-assist levels, and terrain.